About Me

My photo
Lover of all things film, ready to tell you what to avoid, and more importantly, what to seek out.

Tuesday 10 May 2011

CAPITALISM: A LOVE STORY (2009 - Cert 12A)

I recently managed to finally get my hands on Man On Wire, the Oscar winning documentary, through Lovefilm. In my review of that film I referred to Michael Moore's impact on the genre and how popular it has become to the masses, arguably since he hit the scene. I post back Man On Wire, and lo and behold, the next thing to land on my doormat is Moore's latest offering, his insight in to the financial collapse, what went wrong and who is to blame. Coincidence eh?



Michael Moore's approach and execution will be familiar to anyone who has seen one of his films. You don't have to have seen all of his work to know how he goes about things, and Capitalism is no different. It ticks all of Moore's boxes. His sombre monotone voice over. Old and recorded footage used in tandem. Interviews there to emote and generate sympathy. Interviews with the 'baddies' used as an exercise in entrapment. Sequences layered with sarcasm and humour to laugh you into action. Set piece, grand stand stunts where he tries to get a reaction from his prey through humiliation or shaming. It's all there and by the bucket load.

I must point out at this moment that I have been a fan of his previous documentaries. Bowling for Columbine was something new for me. A documentary film that was engaging and interesting yet completely accessible and, despite it's serious content, funny. Fahrenheit 911 and Sicko followed, the Iraq and Afghanistan wars and the American Health System the focus of his interests, and continued his success using the now tried and tested formula. This reliance on the same devices meant that enthusiasm for his work waned, people saw him as a one trick pony, but I suppose that he didn't really care. The one thing that I have always believed is that he wasn't making these films for his own gain. Call me naive but I had a sense that he just wanted to put his point of view across and try to make a difference. Inevitably, when you wear your political beliefs so blatantly, you are going to ruffle some feathers and consequently Moore made some enemies and his films isolated some viewers. I personally liked them all, didn't agree with everything but I enjoyed them, although my enthusiasm for him and his films has receded more and more by each release.

That receding ceased with Capitalism though, it hit me with the same sort of impact that Bowling for Columbine all those years ago. So, if it's all the same tricks in a different context why did it still work and feel so fresh?

I put it down to the subject matter. Gun control, the so called War on Terror and healthcare are all things that obviously have an impact on our lives, but the recession, the financial downturn is a very different beast. Some of it can be put down to me being older (30, yes 30) when seeing this film and also when the 'thing' actually took place, perhaps I'm just taking more notice now I'm getting on a bit. However, it can't just be that. The collapse of the banks is something that has had an effect on the entire planet. This isn't just a problem with Americans being ripped off and denied medical care. I know people who have been made redundant, I know people who's companies have gone under, I work in a profession that deals with the financial institutions a lot. Therefore this is an issue that I have a connection with and it's clear that this made me experience greater emotions when watching the film. I felt sorry for the family being forced out of their homes and then having to burn their belongings just to make money. I felt huge pangs of sympathy for those losing their jobs and clearing their desks. I was disgusted by the 'vulture' who takes peoples homes and sells them on, preying on those getting in to difficulties. I was properly shocked to learn about companies taking insurance policies on their staff, not management, factory workers, so they can profit from someone's death. By the end of it I was totally appalled by what I was seeing, and although it was clear that these examples were extreme and at one end of the spectrum, it was an insight into the recklessness of what had gone on and he had me on his side.

Which is ultimately what Moore wants, in all his films, to inform us and to change our minds about things. Capitalism presents some very clear evidence that should do that, but what gives this film a bit extra is that it carries on after the usual Moore call to arms. After the grandstand stunt, we are treated to something uplifting. Moore's examples of people fighting back, and making a difference. We see protests, marches, it's all there. Then we have one final case study, a group of laid off factory workers in Detroit who's protest do actually succeed. It's a powerful message and a slightly euphoric sign off. We can make a difference. Then comes the usual call to action, but on this occasion it is so much more more understated, almost an afterthought, but it is so much more powerful because of the few minutes that preceded it.

That is why it feels like a superior film, it offers hope, rather than the damning and depressing presentation of facts that we are used to. Without sounding too preachy, it sticks in the memory, it made me believe rather than want to simply apportion blame.

No comments:

Post a Comment